Millions of us commit this sin everyday in our schools, offices, market stalls, hospital waiting rooms, restaurants, salons, stores, workshops and many other meeting places. We enjoy it but end up hurting people and spreading discord. Here are some points compiled by a group of Muslims. I hope you make an effort to stop it before it is too late.
“One of the biggest sins we commit frequently is backbiting. It’s very rare to find a person who is safe from this. It’s so easy to commit that most people don’t realise they’re doing it. Today’s post is dedicated to this serious issue:
1. Imam al-Qurtubi said, “The scholars unanimously agree that backbiting is a major sin and one must make tawbah from it.”
2. Backbiting angers Allah, pleases Shaytan, removes the blessings of your rizq, increases enmity and hatred and causes division.
3. Allah likens it in the Qur’an to eating the dead flesh of another human, so how can a person feast in this?
4. Backbiting has become part and parcel of our sittings and gatherings. If you’re present in such gatherings, you should remind people of this major sin with wisdom, or else leave them.
5. From the reasons why people engage in backbiting is too much unnecessary talk, self amazement, thinking you’re better than others, spreading rumours, being distanced from piety and worship.
6. The Prophet (sallalahu alayhi wa sallam) said, “Whosoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should speak good or remain silent.”
7. From the worst forms of backbiting is to speak about other peoples’ lineage or race. Worse than this, is when people backbite scholars and the righteous.
8. Backbiting isn’t necessarily only in speech. It can be by imitating the way people dress, look or act.
9. If you normally fall into this sin, then repent to Allah and ask Him to safeguard you from it.
10. Imagine yourself in the position of the person who others backbite, how would you feel knowing people are ridiculing and mocking you whenever they get together? If that’s how it makes you feel, then why do it to others?
11. Imam al-Nawawi said, “By Allah, I have never committed backbiting since I learned it was haram.” Assalam Alaikum waramotulai wabarakatu”