If you fall into any of the categories exempted from fasting, it is very easy to fill disconnected. It is worse when the people around you are not understanding and they judge you for eating and drinking. Somehow, they make you feel less of a Muslim. But there are so many other avenues to gaining reward. These would help you avoid wasting the whole month.
- Focus on Allah as He is the One who truly understands.
- Feed a fasting Muslim. It not only gives you immense reward but can be a Fidyah (if you absolutely can not fast)
- Be patient especially if it is a pregnancy or a serious medical condition. Remember that any difficult situation a believer experiences is a source of expiation of sin.
- Make Dhikr your companion.There are too many easy words of remembrance that will increase your scale of good.
- Join Iftar gatherings to feel that sense of community so rare outside this month.
- Help prepare food for others.
- Perform Tahajjud, make endless dua, seek the night of Al-Qadr, don’t miss Tarawih.
- Sadaqah -Charity
- Listen to sermons and learn from them. Make sure they are from sound scholars who use evidences from the Quran and Sunnah.
- Have a healthy diet. It is not an excuse to engorge yourself.
- Avoid anger, backbiting, foul and vulgar language.
- Use the time till next Ramadhan to treat your condition and try to fast next time if it is safe to do so.
May Allah reward you as you strive to do your best at worship.